1.09.2008

milonga me happy

{el valenciano}

last night in my tango class we learned some fancy steps to milonga {the speed version of tango}.
wait, let me back up a moment to exclaim blissfully that my teacher ney is back. oh yes, ney is back! his passion and kindness and teaching brilliance we sorely missed the last month, and it felt so great to get his big hugs & hear his classic "si o no?!?" and "ciao papi!". after class, the energy was running high and almost everyone went to el valenciano for a night that felt like a joyous reunion. at least to me. i haven't been there in a month and it felt great to see so many familiar faces and dance so many tandas. it seemed like everyone else felt the same way too. lots of contented smiles on the dance floor. i danced two full tandas of milonga for the first time and i must say, i didn't know i had it in me. it felt so incredible! i even got compliments from several leaders on my improved fluidity and strength. wow. really? is that what a month off does? at any rate it had me soaring and if it weren't for my feet killing me i could have done it until dawn. here is a delightful rendition of milonga ~ no, this isn't quite my skill level {yet. ha!} but it's certainly something to get inspired by and put an extra spring in your chilly january morning step. happy wednesday!


5 comments:

tangobaby said...

What a wonderful post! It made me feel *almost* like I was there too. I'm glad you had such a great night. It makes the sore feet a little easier to take the next day.

;-)

studio wellspring said...

your loveliness was entirely missed, tangobaby, and i am thrilled you'll be there tonight. i hope it's just as wonderful as last week for you!

acaligurl said...

dancing is so elegant, and i am so not coordinated!

paris parfait said...

What fun to be in San Francisco and dancing the tango.

studio wellspring said...

yes, tara, but how much more lovely would it be to be dancing the tango in paris? perhaps this summer.....